Jennifer L. Gilbert is a senior attorney at Banys, P.C.
Voted one of the top women attorneys in Northern California from 2014 – 2018, Ms. Gilbert is experienced in complex litigation involving patent, copyright, trademark, trade secrets, antitrust, personal injury, employment, class action, catastrophic injury, and contract disputes. She has represented clients in state and federal courts and before the U.S. International Trade Commission. In 2015-2016, Ms. Gilbert served as the second chair in several trials – all of which resulted in victories and included winning two jury verdicts in federal courts and a state court jury verdict of $12.5 million dollars.
Ms. Gilbert is currently leading Banys, P.C.’s catastrophic injury practice and represents individuals that have been injured or killed by dangerous medical devices, including IVC filters and Cardiac Catheters.
Ms. Gilbert earned her law degree from Santa Clara University School of Law in 2007, where she was a Dean’s scholar. Prior to law school, she graduated magna cum laude from Santa Clara University, completing all her courses in under three years. Ms. Gilbert was named to the Phi Beta Kappa honor society and the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. Before joining Banys, P.C., Ms. Gilbert was an associate at a prominent national trial firm and a large international law firm. Ms. Gilbert is active in several legal associations including Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley and American Association for Justice. A native of Taiwan; Ms. Gilbert reads and writes Chinese, and speaks Mandarin fluently.
Ms. Gilbert’s representative matters include:
- SAI v. QUALCOMM et al. (San Diego Sup. Ct.): Represented SAI and won a $12.5 million jury verdict in addition to several bench trials in a breach of contract litigation involving QUALCOMM’s use of SAI’s source code in its products without making the required payments;
- Freeny v. Murphy Oil (E. D. Tex.): Represented the Freeny Brothers and won a $9.25 million jury verdict in a patent infringement litigation involving automated synchronous price and advertising technology;
- Rosset et al. v. Hunter Engineering Co. (Alameda Sup. Ct. and 1st Dist.): Representing California employees in a class action employment litigation involving willful misclassification of employees as “independent contractors” under California law;
- Freeny v. Apple Inc. et al. (E. D. Tex.): Represented the Freeny brothers in a series of patent infringement actions involving simultaneous dual-band routers;
- Titanide Ventures v. Box, Inc. et al. (E. D. Tex.): Represented Titanide in a series of patent infringement actions involving cloud storage technology;
- InNova Patent Licensing, LLC v. Alcatel-Lucent Holdings, Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex.): Represented InNova in a patent infringement action involving e-mail filtering technology;
- Twin Peaks Software Inc. v. Red Hat, Inc. et al. (N.D. Cal.): Represented Twin Peaks in a patent infringement action involving virtual file systems.
Dedicated to pro bono services, Ms. Gilbert has represented numerous low-income clients, free of charge.
Ms. Gilbert is admitted to practice before the following courts:
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- California Supreme Court and all other California state courts
Ms. Gilbert’s awards include:
- Top Women Attorneys in Northern California, SuperLawyers, 2014-2018
- Rising Star, SuperLawyers, 2014-2018